Name: Joe Watson
Company details: Managing Director, Cotswold Estates and Gardens Ltd www.estatesandgardens.co.uk
- What would you say is the best thing about your job?
Creating beautiful gardens. I also relish the challenge of the more technically demanding projects.
- What made you want to get into the industry?
I joined the company when my father retired in 1992.
- Challenges ahead in your work?
Both the economic and meteorological climate present significant challenges that mean you have to be increasingly flexible and responsive.
- How is the bulk of your work made up?
The construction of top end domestic gardens.
- Current trends in the market?
Indian sandstone is relatively cheap and is being used instead of concrete slabs. Environmental issues are becoming more important with wild flower areas for pollinating insects increasingly common, as is rain water harvesting. Olives are increasingly commonly specified in planting schemes in anticipation of Global Warming but many have died in the past couple of winters.
- Your company’s plans for the next five years…..
I think that the trading environment will continue to be very demanding for some considerable time yet.
- How do you remain competitive?
Constantly reviewing working practices and trying to work smarter rather than harder.