Tony Woods will be heading over to Singapore in the sunny tropics to compete at the international garden and flower show Singapore Garden Festival (SGF) 2022, organised by the National Parks Board (NParks). In its eighth edition, the biennial event has established itself as a premier tropical garden and flower show, where garden and floral designers with at least one top accolade in the recent two to three years are invited to participate.
The last edition of the Festival was held in 2018. It took a short hiatus due to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions in 2020. This year’s Festival will take place from 30 July to 7 August 2022 at ION Orchard and Ngee Ann City along popular shopping belt Orchard Road, and 30 July to 9 August 2022 at the UNESCO World Heritage site Singapore Botanic Gardens. This is Tony Wood’s first participation at SGF, and he will be participating in the highly contested Show Garden Competition.
Tony Woods is the founder of Garden Club London, which is one of the leading urban design studios in the UK. A horticulturist and plant person at heart, his designs largely involve creating sustainable and atmospheric gardens using planting and includes only the most essential landscape elements into the space.
Tony Woods said, “I am hopeful that my designs demonstrate the interaction between modern cities, urban architecture and the natural environment. My designs make use of plants for shadow, shape, texture and drama which is intensified by the urban back drop.”
Most recently at the Chelsea Flower Show, Tony Woods took home a Gold medal for his sanctuary garden titled ‘A Garden Sanctuary by Hamptons’.
This year’s competition will feature a total of six Show Garden plots. As anchor displays, the Show Gardens will bring together seven celebrated luminaries from four countries for a showcase of creativity and horticulture excellence. Judges can hand out Gold, Silver and Bronze medals with the overall winner being awarded the “Best of Show” title.
The key Festival highlights are:
(1) Orchard Road (available from 30 July to 7 August)
- Edibles Competition, Floral Competitions and Floral Installation Displays at ION Orchard
- Show Garden Competition at Civic Plaza, Ngee Ann City
(2) Singapore Botanic Gardens (available from 30 July to 9 August)
- Orchid Competition at the National Orchid Garden
- Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) Landscape Design Challenge at Eco Garden, Bukit Timah Core
- Singapore Gardeners’ Cup at Eco Garden, Bukit Timah Core
- Singapore Botanic Gardens Heritage Festival
- MarketPlace at Tyersall Coach Park, Central Core